Welcome back for the academic year! The first day of classes is Wednesday, September 1 and will follow a Monday schedule. Please refer to the Harvard Academic Calendar for further important semester dates.
Please join me in welcoming to Harvard linguistics the following new people:
- Lecturers: Yağmur Sağ and Adam Singerman
- New graduate students: Joost Botman, Aljoša Milenković, and Natasha Thalluri
- Visiting scholars Terue Nakato (Associate Professor at Kitasata University in Tokyo) and Xiaoli Wang (lecture and graduate student at Renmin University of China in Beijing)
- Visiting fellow Haoyue Hu (graduate students at Tsinghua University in Beijing)
The following conference talks or posters, listed in chronological order, were presented by members of the Harvard Department of Linguistics:
- Josh Martin: "Emergent privativity and constrained modulation in adjective semantics" on May 7 at CLS 57
- Hande Sevgi: "Syntax on its own is not enough: Sign language classifiers" on May 7 at CLS 57
- Ethan Wilcox, Roger Levy, and Kathryn Davidson: "Which presuppositions are subject to contextual felicity constraints?" poster at SALT 31 on May 7.
- Josh Martin and Daria Bikina: "Intersectivity at the Interface: the syntax and semantics of Russian Adjectives" on May 15 at FASL 30
- Tamisha Tan: "Possession and Passivity in Balinese: ma- in the Middle" on May 20 at ISLOJ 8
- Hande Sevgi and Wei-Fang Hsieh: "Verbal Reduplication and its restrictions in Bahasa Balinese" on May 20 at ISLOJ 8
- Shannon Bryant and Deniz Satik: "A Minimalist account of Balinese binding" on May 25 at AFLA 28
- Tamisha Tan: "The diachrony of preverbal subject marking across NTT" on May 27 at AFLA 28
- Ian Kirby: "Emphasis and (anti-)additivity in polarity particles: Sakha da(ghany) and emie" on June 24 at TripleA 8
- Tamisha Tan: "Where Have all the Initial Vowels Gone? Epenthesis and Prothesis in Tetun Terik" on June 28 at ICAL 15
- Zachary Rothstein-Dowden: "Definite Marking in Balinese" on July 1 at ICAL 15
- Hayley Ross: "Implications of the Danish definiteness alternation for Nanosyntax" on August 26 at AIMM 5
- Niels Torben Kuehlert: "The Limits of Root-Controlled Allomorphy" on August 26 at AIMM 5
For her recent birthday, Susi Wurmbrand was honored at V-NYI #3 with a two-volume festschrift titled The Size of Things, with papers contributed by 40 current and former students and colleagues, edited by formed students Sabin Laszakovitz and Zheng Shen.
Itelmen Dictionary Published
The Comprehensive Itelmen Dictionary project team (Aleksandr P. Volodin, Chikako Ono, Jonathan Bobaljik, David Koester, and Michael Krauss) recently published the Itelmen-Russian edition of the Comprehensive Itelmen Dictionary (Kulturstiftung Sibirien, and Institute of Linguistic Studies, Russian Academy of Arts and Sciences).